Case studies / Wastes and waste facilities
Päivi M. Kauppila1, Teemu Karlsson1, Clayton Larkins1 & Henna Punkkinen2, 1Geological Survey of Finland, P.O. Box 1237, FI-70211 Kuopio, FINLAND, e-mail: paivi.kauppila(at)gtk.fi, teemu.karlsson(at)gtk.fi, email@example.com; 2VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland Ltd, P.O. Box 1000, FI-02044 VTT, Finland, henna.punkkinen(at)vtt.fi
In these pages, case studies of waste characterization and waste management have been collected to provide data on the performance of the characterisation methods and closure technologies. Case studies presented will show both successful and unsuccessful use of various technologies. Stucture of the case study articles is based on the case study evaluation template.
Case studies on the use of characterization methods
Use of field studies in evaluating drainage quality from waste facilities:
Waste management case studies
- ARD control using waste rock layering – Samatosum mine site
- Subaqueous disposal of tailings in a waste management facility – Stekenjokk mine site case study
- Waste management for mine closure – Aitik Cu mine, Sweden
- In-pit backfilling of waste rocks under dry cover – a case study from Kimheden Cu mine, Sweden
- Design, construction, instrumentation, and monitoring of pilot scale waste rock cover systems: concept review and case studies
Figure 1. Reclamated waste rock areas at the Luikonlahti Mine site, Finland. Photo © P. Kauppila, GTK.